and what they REALLY mean
. . .
a helpful guide written by The Russler
- a better place to be than in this meeting; see also "game plan"
- ballpark figure
- athelete's physique
- musician's physique
- barrier removal
- road construction site activity when the lanes are reopened
- a defacing of the work area caused by a dropped tool
- of or relating to a straight A student
- best practice
- being on the golf course instead of the office
- the big picture
- in a collection of photographs, the one that allows its owner to be
promoted without actually doing anything useful; see "blackmail"
- blind side
- the back of one's head, unless one is a teacher or parent
- bottom line
- "O C P D E J F Y Q Z R U T"; see "refocus"
- having a large derriere
- what desk-bound employees do to their bodies instead of building them up
- business portfolio
- marketing equivalent to a wallet full of "pictures of my grandkids"; in
other words, stuff you like to brag about that really wasn't your doing
- delicacy made from fish eggs . . . I think
- looking at one's workstation, as opposed to working on the server
- polite term meaning to fight with a business partner
- producing mixed signals, as in "We are co-sourcing with IBM on this
- come to market quickly
- get to Foley's before they open
- to put in the toilet
- a part of the whole; especially, the part that doesn't work well with
- core business
- the apple industry
- angry and dysfunctional, as in "I have a meeting this afternoon with
that cross-functional task force."
- having our transportation expenses covered in the user's contract
- deep dive
- method of getting into more hot water, as in
"On Monday, we’ll deep dive into that market discussion."
- newborn babies
- to place in battle formation
- done deal
- subject to change
- emerging technologies
- things understood only by engineers
- anything requested by a user
- to tell employees that they matter
- letting an alcoholic relative keep on drinking
- the complex of climatic, edaphic, and biotic factors that act upon an
organism or an ecological community and ultimately determine its form
- to force into being or action, as in "David will be facilitating this
- fast track
- a corporate ladder consisting of wounded or deceased bodies of coworkers
(Note: the "corporate" in "corporate ladder" is from the Latin
"corpus" which means "body.")
- willing to do what the management or marketing people want at the given
moment and able to anticipate what they will want at the next moment
- the point at which rays of light converge, very important to the use of
the ubiquitous overhead projector
- the tendency to attend a lot of parties
- game plan
- a scheme to get out of here and to a better place; see "ballpark"
- gap analysis
- checking one's fly
- spherical, as in "Everyone on the global team likes donuts."
- go the extra mile
- means of getting around some traffic jams
- a popular office toy at one time; replaced by the koosh ball after
- alert, resourceful, or unusually tall
- vague, as in "Let me give you a high-level description of the
- important to a good friend of someone in upper-level management
- in the loop
- ready to be hanged on a gallows, as in "It is important to keep your
manager in the loop."
- to anger, similar to "incense" but not as strong, as in "That should
incent the customer."
- resembling a smokestack
- filled with useless data--well, okay some of it is useful, but the rest
is just there to provide more columns or pages to reports that are
generated, printed, glanced at (optional), and thrown away
- the permanent installations required for military operations
- accessible to people of all races
- inside rim of a coffee cup, as in "Things are starting to grow inside my
mug. I need to soak it in an interim solution!"
- knowledge base
- the sum total of one's prejudices
- lessons learned
- excuses for embarrassing mistakes
- abuse, as in "We need to leverage our team members."; comes from the
notion of beating someone with a crowbar
- founded upon the ideas of salesmen
- standing in front of the grocery store
- a collections of brains; see "Dr. Frankenstein"
- early pilot of a TV show that later became "Mission: Impossible"
- movers and shakers
- a religion popular in the 1800s that emphasized the Holy Spirit
- the next level
- often, the location of housewares, toys, or lingerie
- on the same page
- the relationship between "teamwork" and "tea party"
- activity forced upon an unwilling employee, as in "Sam will be leaving
the team and pursuing a new opportunity."
- out of the loop
- in the suburbs
- paradigm shift
- reaction caused by driving around a corner with twenty cents on the
- peel back the onion
- make those around you cry
- a tobacconist's array of smoking apparatuses
- someone who pretends to be something he is not, as in "Here is the org
chart. Let me introduce you to some of the players."
- earliest, that which has been around the longest, as in "We are offering
a premier software package to our customer."
- to assign random numbers to
- the situation of a career athlete who is too valuable to society to be
punished for any criminal activity; current examples include Dallas
Cowboys; for future examples watch the Nebraska Cornhuskers
- another name for the 80-hour work week
- push the envelope
- "Get this junk mail offa my desk!"
- put that one to bed
- to place in one's flower garden
- the process of gradually getting farther from reality; the higher you
get, the more spectacular the fall
- mass firing of employees
- the action of the eyes after reading the big E and before reading the
line that says "O C P D E J F Y Q Z R U T"
- a weekly activity engaged in by management personnel with too little to
- after-hours book drop (for those who don't read: after-hours video drop)
- dehumanizing term for person, sometimes confused with "racehorse"
- result-driven (also results-driven)
- unmotivated by ethics
- periodic event by a mother-in-law
- perpetual reorganization
- the public introduction of a new aircraft; a football play in which the
quarterback rolls to his left or right
- a transition from one musical number to the next
- service offerings
- the collections taken up during church assemblies
- single point of contact
- anode or cathode
- homogeneous mixtures formed by the dissolving of solids or liquids in
- standards . . . procedures . . . documentation
- a set of business entities outside the scope of knowledge of a computer
- a characteristic of any plan whose due date is too far away to make it
possible to determine whether the end result will bear any resemblance
to the original desired result
- straw man
- contraction for "synthetic energy"; not to be confused with
"artifice", a contraction for "artificial intelligence"
- relating to speech which is uttered only after choosing words carefully
so as to avoid hurt feelings
- take it off-line
- shut up
- a group of people who share breakfast on Friday mornings
- team player
- anyone good at hackysack
- think outside the box
- come up with something logical for a change
- touch base
- a feature of certain table lamps that allows them to be turned on and
off without a conventional switch
- more expensive
- vision statement
- report from the optometrist
- relating to a situation that is very beneficial to the person using the
term, regardless of the benefit to others
- a geography course
- yellow-pad study
- the debris left behind after a brain storm